Saturday 12 March 2016

Climate

When to go?
Looking at the weather patterns it is pretty simple to decide that summer is too hot. So that leaves Spring, Autumn and Winter. I chose to start in the first half of November and finished mid way through January. This included several rest days when I stayed with friends. 

Spring in the North when it is carpeted in flowers is said to be wonderful, but I wanted to avoid the time pressure of having to finish before the desert gets too hot.

Having chosen my timing it was a complete no-brainer to decide to walk North to South. Also this way saved the best bit for last.

What was the weather like?
With rare exceptions I found the winter weather perfect, and had difficulty understanding why there were’t more people (indeed any people) on the trail.

The coldest night by some distance was just before Mizpe Ramon (4ºC). The hottest day was probably somewhere in the north in the first few weeks and that would have been about 28ºC. However that day I was in relentless sun with not a lot of shade, so I needed more water.

Mostly it was no more than 22-25ºC and no colder than 9-12ºC. There were very few occasions with any rain. Only after I had finished did was there a period of wet weather in Jerusalem. There was even some snow in Bethlehem.



No comments: